For a decent living, a person needs a certain amount of goods and services. But for greater profit, some entrepreneurs, through marketing strategies, artificially create increased needs for different goods and services. Thus in order to meet these artificial needs, buyers make excess procurements, including unnecessary and harmful products.
Due to the cult of consumption, people are engaged in a consumer competition, the winners being considered those individuals who manage to accumulate a maximum number of goods. The consequences of this rally race are the following:
1. Consumer degradation.
- People become “ideal” consumers, who are ready to buy a product that does not need repeated times.
- Consumers become a marketing tool and sell instead of the seller, through ongoing discussions (offline and online) about the procurements made or to be carried out.
- Buyers do not take care of the purchased goods, because they know that they will buy a new one tomorrow. For example, instead of wearing a coat for a few seasons, or using a cell phone for a few years, they are often changed because they have been damaged.
- Changes in the scale of values, because the purchase of goods becomes one of the main goals. Thus a consumer for this satisfies the thirst for the accumulation of goods, is ready to violate the moral and professional principles, just to earn more.
- The consumer does not differentiate between the producers who can bring direct and indirect benefits or damages.
2. Increasing the number of irresponsible producers and sellers.
- Increasing demand for products, including unnecessary, non-qualitative and harmful ones, contributes to increasing the number of producers and sellers of such products;
- The main factor that ensures sustainability in the market is the strong advertising and not the real benefits of the products and services, because the beautiful packaging and the resounding publicity, ensure sales. Thus, speculators who want to make a profit at any price have good development conditions.
As a result, the increase in the number of irresponsible producers and sellers increases the volume of aggressive marketing, which contributes to the rooting of the consumption cult even more.
3. Resources used incorrectly.
Huge human resources, time, and raw materials are used to create, process, and promote useless, non-qualitative, and harmful products, so:
- Instead of a million people being involved in research, to discover new solutions in problem areas (environment, medicine, transportation, food, agriculture, and other areas), they are involved in sales and marketing;
- Instead of billions of dollars being used for example in education, they are used to promote soda water and sweets;
- Forests that ensure clean air, are cut for the manufacture of excess furniture, products that can be manufactured from other materials;
4. Polluted environment
Practicing an excessive and non-selective consumption style contributes to supporting the business that causes damage to the environment.
Here are some examples:
- Incorrectly designed products, so they generate waste in the process of use and after use, for example:
- the product that has high consumption in the process of operation (for example a car or a washing machine);
- product and packaging made of materials that are not biodegradable or not collected for reuse.
- the product was manufactured not to solve a problem or satisfy a real need, but only to generate profit. Thus a large volume of such products contributes to the increase of the production volume, which leads to the increase of the volume of waste in the process of production, use, and after use of the goods.
- the product is not durable and qualitative, which is why over a short period of time you will buy it repeatedly and you will contribute to doubling the production volume and therefore the volume of the waste.
- Products that have been manufactured:
- using limited natural resources (such as soil, air, water, fauna, flora, and others).
- according to technological processes that generate emissions in large quantities.
- Impulsively or unplanned purchased products (which you use little or not at all) also contribute to increasing the production volume and therefore the volume of waste.
The consequences of these actions can be seen in the news, for example: “A whale in the ocean consumed plastic instead of over” or “A large number of plastic bags cause the death of thousands of birds, fish, and small animals.”
The problems of obsession with money existed before, but in a much smaller volume and this was not considered normal. Now to become a millionaire, whatever method you choose is applaudable. If based on such a story a movie or a book is made, many people regard these characters as heroes. At the same time the impact was then much smaller, now besides all the negative effects of those listed above also depends on the ecological situation, on which the future of humanity depends.
What can you change for the better?
At first glance, it seems that nothing depends on you, because there are institutions, organizations, specialists, and other people in charge, who must deal with the regulation of production, trade, and environmental protection in order to solve the problems mentioned above (the text with red).
In reality, consumers can apply pressure to make positive changes and as the number of consumers applying pressure is higher, the changes are faster and more visible.
Under the current conditions, when the above-listed responsables fail to find solutions or the solutions found are partially implemented or not implemented, your involvement is important, because, in an inactive state, positive changes may come too late.
Involved through actions that require the following types of effort:
Distribute the information on the site on social networks or verbally, so you will contribute to increasing the number of conscious consumers, who through mindful shopping and balanced consumption style will save natural resources and human potential (the solving of the problems indicated above – red text).
Inform yourself with the recommendations on the site, apply them in practice and become a conscious consumer, who supporting the products and services of the businesses that take care of the consumer and the environment in which these consumers will live.
Over time, the small or medium effort can have big effects, for example, tomorrow someone who has followed your example (your child, a friend or a stranger), tomorrow can become an influential person, who will make a greater effort to solve the problems indicated above (red text).
If you are an owner or employee of a company that produces and sells unnecessary and harmful products for the consumer and the environment, make a change. Here are some examples of actions you can take:
- If you are employed, make an effort to work in a company that is responsible for the environment and consumers. If you do not know what the company you are working for or what impact its activity is dealing with, first of all, get informed about this;
- If you are an entrepreneur, change your business strategy and choose the right direction, even if it may be harder;
- If you are in the media field, write an article, a book, a tape, a script, a video or a movie, which will include in the subject the problems mentioned above (red text);
- If you are a person who dictates fashion (in clothing and accessories, culinary, transport, and other areas) think well of the massive, positive or negative impact that your activity may have on the consumer’s actions;
- If you are a person who has decision-making power (civil servant, politician, representative of an organization in the field) give priority to the problems mentioned above (red text) and more actively involved in solving them (elaboration and implementation of laws, regulations, policies, and others);
- If you are a trainer, who learns how to sell at any price, change the way you teach, and choose to teach the audience who has a conscious entrepreneur spirit.
- If you are in the field of consulting (economics, management, legal, etc.), do not grant support to companies that bring harm to society.
The results of the actions you will take are described in this link.