1. Use public transportation and take walks
Your car is comfortable and fast, but in some situations when you can use public transport and walk a little, because:
- you don’t hurry;
- you don’t have to carry anything heavy;
- transport infrastructure is developed (comfortable, accessible, and secure).
By doing this, you will reduce the toxic emission in the air (applicable if you do not have an eco transport) and will reduce the number of transport units on the route, which in turn will make traffic freer and safer.
2. Rent or use taxi services
If you often use public transport, and some times need a personal car, it is not necessary to buy your own car because you can rent a car or take a taxi. If you buy a car, you will automatically take fewer walks and use less often public transport, because laziness and comfort will seduce you.
By doing this, you will help decrease the volume of production of transport units, which will contribute to reducing the volume of resources used and industrial and consumer waste generated.
3. Procure transport units from the responsible producers
You will gain directly and indirectly, immediately and over a period of time, if you will buy transport units and accessories from companies, that manage their business in such a way to:
- protecting the buyer pocket and health, by designing transport units that are secure, qualitative, durable, and eco-friendly;
- protecting the environment by saving natural resources and reducing waste and toxic emissions in their manufacturing, logistic, and storage processes;
- practicing ethical business (legal finance activity, honest marketing, decent wages, and working conditions for employees, etc.).
Further are recommendations to identify such products:
- ANALYZE THE ADVERTISING:
Choose products that were advertised without urges to practicing excessive consumption. Excess is harmful to the environment because it increases the volume of production, and as a result, increases the volume of natural resources used and industrial and consumer waste generated. Usually, these products are overestimated and aggressively promoted. Here you can find more information about toxic marketing.
- READ THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
- Technical documentation.
This will help you evaluate the unit transport parameters: which is the level of consumption and fuel type, the level of emissions, how qualitative eco-friendly are the materials from which the product is made, passenger safety, and so on.
This is proof that the company applies in practice certain recognized technologies and standards (this was verified by a recognized evaluation company).
Because many logos and labels are a marketing move (fakes like eco, green, clean, without any proofs), it’s important to know which certifications are appropriate. Here are some examples with recognized certifications:
- ISO 14001 – all processes in the company are managed in such a way as to improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste;
- Responsible care – tires with this label (for example Nokiantyres) it’s proof that all processes in the company are managed in such a way as to protect the environment, ensure health and safety for the employee, and a safety product.
- Click here for more certifications.
- Technical documentation.
- SEARCH FOR PRODUCT REVIEWS:
Find reviews about product quality. Transport units designed to be comfortable, functional, and durable will be used a lot and purchased less often. For example, Instead of buying a car every 3 years, you will buy one once every 6-10 years. This will contribute to reducing the production rhythm, and as a result, decreasing the volume of natural resources used and of industrial and consumer waste generated.
- FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE BUSINESS:
Here you must find out the following information about the Manufacturer and Retailer:
- history – find information about the activities in which the company was involved, for example, social or illegal activities.
- strategy – find on the company website their mission and objectives. Developing and promoting innovative technologies to solve local and global problems is a good sign. A good example is Tesla.
Most likely you will not find the ideal products or businesses, but it is always possible to choose the best ones.
4. Choose compact transport
If you do not have a big family, and you have a big car alone. In such cases, it’s rational to switch to a smaller type of transport, because:
- a smaller volume at the transport unit means less natural resources used and waste generated for manufacturing.
- a lower engine volume will considerably reduce the volume of fuel used and therefore toxic emissions (applicable if you don’t have an eco transport).
If the distance you cover daily is small (a few km), then a correct decision would be to consider the following types of transport, bicycle, motorcycle, electric scooters, and so on.
5. Increase the transport unit life
Ensure the technical service on time, repair on time, and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and lifehacks, in order to avoid changing the car every 2, 3 years. This will contribute to reducing the production rhythm, and as a result, decreasing the volume of natural resources used and of industrial and consumer waste generated.
6. Organize the route
Here are some tips to make this smart:
- plan your trip in advance (use maps and web applications for this that will help you make the best choice). If you don’t organize your route, the distance traveled may double.
- find drivers who travel the same route. In some cases, two drivers (neighbors or friends) have to travel the same route. To identify such drivers you can use social networks or special applications designed for this.
By doing this you will reduce traffic on the route, fuel consumption, transport wear, and save money and natural resources.
7. Dispose of correctly
- Sell the transport units that you don’t use at second-hand markets or on specialized websites. Do not keep the car in the garage until it catches rust and is no longer functional (except if it is old, and with high consumption and toxic emissions).
A car sold second-hand market = minus a car produced, which means fewer resources used in production and less industrial waste generated.
- Recycle. In order for the transpot units and accesories, you throw away to become the raw material for the production of other transpot units and accesories:
- makes selective garbage collection;
- find specialized points for waste collecting.